In December of 1898, in Cherew, SC, New England Wire (then known as New England Electrical Works) was incorporated. Just a few months later, the business was moved to Lisbon, NH and the manufacture of single and double silk wrapped copper wire (an early form of today’s film insulated magnet wire) began in support of the manufacture of magnetic solenoid coils necessary to ring the bells in old-fashioned crank telephones.
Since those first, early days New England Wire has been proud to have developed some of the most innovative capabilities and wire and cable products in the industry. From Litz wire to superconductor cabling, and copper cables and braids to extruded micro-miniature multi-conductor cables, our place in the world of custom cable manufacturing has continued to grow and expand to support the latest technologies of every decade.
The 30 employees that started with us in 1898 have now grown to over 425! And the original 2-story building next to the railroad tracks is just part of our expansive campus where we now have over 385,000 square feet of manufacturing and office space – with plans to expand an additional 38,000 sq. feet in 2023. We remain happily located here in Lisbon, NH where we enjoy the beauty and peaceful lifestyle our little community offers while designing and manufacturing the most advanced wire and cable solutions in the industry.
Take a peek at some fun photos from our earliest days…
Keep watching as we post more about our historic anniversary and discuss all the great things we have planned for the next 125 years!