This year we are celebrating New England Wire’s 125th anniversary – you read that correctly one-hundred-and-twenty-five years of custom wire and cable solutions!
Since our founding in 1898, right here in Lisbon, New Hampshire, we’ve been designing and manufacturing custom wire and cable to support a variety of industries and scores of world-changing historical events.
We’re in good company! Other companies celebrating their 125th anniversary this year:
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- FedEx Supply Chain
- Union Carbide
- United Kennel Club
- William Morris Agency
- Walkers Shortbread
Events of 1898
- The Spanish-America both begins, and ends. The United States declared war on Spain in April of 1898. The war lasted until August, and resulted in the United States gaining control of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines.
- The United States annexes the Hawaiian Islands, making it a US territory.
- The Klondike Gold Rush begins, when gold was discovered in the Yukon territory in Canada. This led to a rush of prospectors seeking their fortunes in the region.
- The United Kingdom officially declares New Zealand a colony.
- The German pharmaceutical company Bayer patents a new drug called “aspirin,” which became a popular pain reliever.
- American pharmacist Caleb Bradham renames his carbonated soft drink Pepsi-Cola
- K. Kellogg invents corn flakes cereal
- New elements Polonium and Radium discovered by scientists Pierre and Marie Curie
- The first subway system in the United States opened in Boston in September of 1898.
- William McKinley (R-Ohio) is President
- Rudolf Diesel of Germany obtains patent #608,845 for his internal combustion engine, later known as the diesel engine
Stay tuned as we share more about our history and show you all the ways we’re celebrating this milestone anniversary!